The two RIP-oN projects (RIP-oN2 and RIP-oN3) are independent projects funded by the Institute for Health and Consumer Protection (IHCP) of the European Commission’s Directorate General Joint Research Centre (JRC) to a consortium led by SAFENANO (Institute of Occupational Medicine), and including the Nanotechnology Industries Association, Cefic, and Soluzioni Informatiche. The projects started in January 2010 and ran for 12-16 months.
RIP-oN2: ‘Specific advice on fulfilling information requirements for nanomaterials under REACH'
This project aimed to:
- Develop specific advice on how REACH information requirements on intrinsic properties of nanomaterials can be fulfilled. This also addressed and advised on the appropriateness of the relevant test methods (including dosimetry) for nanomaterials and outlined, when relevant, possible specific testing strategies.
- Develop advice on the information that is needed for safety evaluation and risk management of nanomaterials, and in particular if information is needed beyond or in addition to the current information requirements listed in REACH Annexes VI-X.
Follow this link to download to full project report on 'Specific advice on fulfilling information requirements for nanomaterials under REACH (RIP-oN2)', published by the European Commission in October 2011.
Find here the NIA press release on the publication of the RIP-oN 2 report.
RIP-oN3: 'Specific advice on exposure assessment and Hazard/Risk Characterisation for nanomaterials under REACH'
The project addressed exposure assessment and hazard/risk characterisation for nanomaterials within REACH. It aimed to:
Develop advice on how to do exposure assessment for nanomaterials within the REACH context; this covered:
- development of Exposure Scenarios,
- evaluation of operational conditions and risk management/mitigation measures and
- exposure estimation;
- Develop ideas for how to conduct hazard and risk characterisation for nanomaterials. The latter involved threshold/non-threshold considerations.
Follow this link to download the full project report on 'Specific advice on exposure assessment and Hazard/Risk Characterisation for nanomaterials under REACH (RIP-oN3)', published by the European Commission in October 2011.
Find here the NIA's press release on the publication of the RIP-oN 3 report.
RIP-oN1: 'Substance Identification of Nanomaterials': this RIP-oN was conducted by the IHCP (JRC) under consultation of additional experts.