Netzwerk NanoSilber (Nanosilver Network) consists of eleven partners in Germany who are mainly small- to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), as well as collaborating research organizations, foundations and associations. The network's activities focus on the responsible development of nanosilver products, taking into account technical, economic, ecological and medical aspects.
Nanosilver has great potential due to its antimicrobial activity, electrical and thermal conductivity as well as unique optical properties; therefore nanosilver is already applied in numerous innovative products. However, like many advancing technologies, there are still questions to be answered. These concern both technological issues and risk assessment. These questions are imperative to risk assessment, where the discussion and evaluation of the obtained research data, as well as open communication with the public, is of high importance.
The main objectives of the network are:
- The target-oriented development of nanosilver
- Responsible realisation of the technical potential
- Thorough risk assessment
- Execution of market-oriented and innovative R&D projects
- Collaborations between SMEs and research institutions
- Enhanced technology transfer
- The use of synergies in the know-how of network partners in all areas of the product life-cycle of nanosilver
- Coherent public communication
- Public relations, participation in exhibitions and organization of subject related events
The network was established in June 2011.
The NanoSilber Netzwerk is funded by the Central Innovation Programme SME (ZIM). ZIM is the base program of the German Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology and is for market-driven technology support of the innovative SME economy in Germany. The network is managed by the Nanoinitiative Bayern GmbH based in Würzburg.
More information can be found on the NanoSilber Netzwerk project (website in German).